Finding your ideal mattress is always a challenge. It’s even harder if you’re a heavier person! Many mattress companies make their products without considering the needs of heavy people. And if you’re of a larger body type, many popular models simply won’t provide you with the support, cushion, and durability you need and deserve.
With the wrong bed, you’ll compromise your sleep, and negatively impact your health. Trouble sleeping has been linked to many negative health effects, which ironically include increased weight gain among the most common factors. So, your mattress can trap you in a vicious cycle.
Us heavy people want a mattress that provides us with a good night’s sleep, which will help us stay healthy. However, there are so many to choose from that it can be difficult to figure out which models are the best choice for those of us who are a bit larger. Online shopping can make this even more difficult, as there’s have no way of testing the mattress before buying. That’s why it’s so important to find reliable, in-depth reviews from people who understand exactly what you need.
That’s where we come in. We’ve done extensive research to find the best mattresses for heavy people. Our in-depth reviews will take you through everything you need to know about each of our recommendations, so you can find your perfect bed quickly and easily.
We’ve put lots of thought into the key factors that make a good model for heavier folks, so that we could find the absolute best options. We’ve included a guide along with our reviews, to help you think about how to shop for your new bed.
Let’s have a look at the top rated mattresses in this regard.
The Best Seller
- “Firm but wonderful!”
20 Year Warranty
- “Sleeping on it is incredible!”
25 Year Warranty
- “This is the ultimate deal”
5 Year Warranty
What makes a mattress good for heavy people?
There are a few important things to consider when you’re buying any mattress, especially if you’re a heavier person:
- How many people will be using the mattress? What’s their combined weight? It’s important to nail this down before you start shopping, so you know the model you’re looking at is rated for that total weight. It’s also important to consider how much each sleeper weighs, so you can get a sense of how much weight will be concentrated in a given area.
- What’s your preferred comfort type? Do you prefer more cushion, or more structure? There are lots of options out there, so you’ll want to have a strong sense of your own preference going in.
- Is this a primary bed? If so, you’ll probably want to spend a little more on it. It’s perfectly reasonable to splurge on a master bed, since you’re going to be on it every night for years to come. If it’s a secondary, guest bed, you can probably get away with something a bit less deluxe.
- How much can you spend on your new mattress? You want to get this nailed down before you start shopping. None of our recommendations will cost you $1000, even in a King size. We’ve tried to be very cognizant of the average shopper’s budget. The great thing about online shopping is that beds are so much cheaper than at the store. However, we’d recommend that everyone who can spend a little more and get out of the budget range–should do so. Budget mattresses aren’t really thick or sturdy enough for heavy people, and they don’t have very good durability ratings.
- Is the model I’m considering durable? What’s the warranty coverage like? Plenty of mattresses will be comfortable for heavy people at first, but aren’t durable enough to support heavy people long term. We’re all familiar with spring mattresses sagging. That can be a big issue for heavy people, so you’ll want to look only at spring mattresses with isolated coils. That way your weight is spread out, and isn’t causing the whole net to sag. Memory foam is more durable, but some lesser foam mattresses can “cave” and develop major soft spots. We’ve taken care to make sure that the models we recommended don’t have any history of caving or collapsing. Latex mattresses are the most durable options on the market, so we’d recommend them to heavier people who can spend a little more on their bed (since latex is also the most expensive material). No matter which type of mattress you opt for, you’ll want to make sure your purchase is backed up by a solid warranty. Look for coverage of at least 10 years.
- Are you a hot or cool sleeper? This might not seem like something that’ll decide a mattress choice, but it absolutely should! Hot sleepers want to look for memory foams with gel beads or open-cell architecture to disperse heat more evenly. You’ll also do better with top layers that don’t allow for as much “give” when you lay down. That way, more of your body is out in the air.
- Do you sleep on your side, or on your back or stomach? Depending on the answer to this question, you’ll want to consider depth and layering of materials in any new model. Back and stomach sleepers distribute their weight evenly across the bed, so there are generally just a few low-key pressure points: the hips, upper back, and head. Nearly any decent mattress is designed to relieve those pressure points. If you’re a side sleeper, your weight is a bit more concentrated, and your body shape will hit the top of the bed more unevenly. That means you’ll want a deeper mattress, with enough give to relieve pressure, but enough structure underneath to keep your spine from curving as it sinks into the mattress.
If you consider these questions before you shop, it will be much easier to make your final decision on a mattress. Now that we’re thinking about all the factors, let’s have a look at some of the best options available.
Best Mattress For Heavy People Reviews
Sleep Innovations 12-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Mattress, 20-Year Warranty
This midpriced mattress offers a lot of memory foam for a very reasonable price! We like its layered construction, temperature control, and excellent warranty coverage. It’s a good choice for heavy people who like a firmer, more structured mattress with plenty of support.
This is a medium-priced mattress, in comparison to other memory foam models. Despite this, the Sleep Innovations still offers some more premium features. What we love most about this mattress is that it’s a nice, solid 12-inches thick. This means it offers good support, with plenty of room left over for cushion. It also means that heavier people won’t have to worry about bottoming out (hitting the bottom) of the mattress.
There are two types of foam, to help this one achieve the perfect balance between support and cushion. The bottom layer of structured, responsive memory foam, some 9.5 inches thick, supports you while you sleep. It keeps you from sinking too far into the mattress, while still relieving pressure points. The top 2.5 inch layer of SureTemp foam provides comfort and temperature regulation.
The SureTemp foam is an exclusive feature for Sleep Innovations. Made of open cells that can adjust to your body as you sleep, the foam contours around you to keep you comfortable and cushioned. At the same time, the foam allows heat to escape from the foam, a common issue with memory foam mattresses which cradle your body. This material makes the Sleep Innovations a good option for people who sleep warm.
If you’re the kind of person who is looking for firm back support and spine alignment, the Sleep Innovations mattress is the perfect choice. Most buyers found that while this one felt a bit firmer than other memory foams, they were actually more comfortable after a week of sleeping on this one. The firmer foam is ideal for heavier body types, which can simply crush and negate softer, less structured foams. It’s a good choice for back sleepers and stomach sleepers in particular.
Sleep Innovations are so confident in their product that they offer all buyers a 20-year manufacturers warranty on the mattress! That’s very impressive, given the price. If after using the mattress, buyers aren’t satisfied, they are able to return the product for a replacement or refund.
Some buyers have reported that although the SureTemp does work well, this is still not a mattress for those who really overheat while asleep. The contouring nature of the mattress means that, although air does move, some people may be a little warmer than on a traditional spring mattress. If you have serious problems with overheating at night, we’d suggest a memory foam model with less give, or a spring model, which will be airier overall.
Lucid 14-Inch Plush Memory Foam Mattress, 25-Year Warranty
Our top quality recommendation for heavy people is this Lucid. It’s a big, deluxe mattress with a full 14″ of support and cushion. We love the layered foam build and plush, cushioned feel for giving larger people plenty of give without allowing the mattress to collapse.
A higher priced model compared to Sleep Innovations, the Lucid 14-inch Plush Memory Foam mattress is highly rated by buyers.
It has four different layers of foam. These different layers work together to ensure that you get all the key aspects for a great night’s sleep. Our favorite layer is the 1-inch bamboo charcoal memory foam top. It’s hypoallergenic, which is ideal for those people suffering from skin conditions, allergies or sensitive skin. It also massively reduces the off-gassing odor the mattress produces when you first get it. Beneath the surface, this model also includes a further 3-inch memory foam comfort layer for added cushion, a 2-inch memory foam support layer and an 8-inch high density foam base.
The high-density base foam provides the support you really need as a heavy person. And with so a good 4-6 inches of comfort foam on top of that, it provides the “give” to make you comfortable and alleviate pressure points. The extra depth also makes this model a good choice for heavier people who sleep on their sides.
It’s made from high-quality foam. All the foam used is CertiPUR-US Certified, meaning it has been independently tested to have lower levels of chemical emissions and off-gassing right out of the box. It’s hypoallergenic, and there is no latex present in this mattress, either synthetic or natural. The mattress is also free of CFCs, mercury and formaldehyde, which are frequently found in cheaper, untested models.
It’s very affordable, especially given how deep this mattress is. Lucid’s Memory Foam Mattress costs between $350 and $800 depending on the size that you’re looking for. Considering the high quality of the foam, and the sheer amount of foam you’re getting this is a very competitive price.
This model carries one of the longest warranties currently on offer in the mattress market! Lucid offers a guaranteed 25-year warranty on all of their products, leaving your purchase very well insured. The company states that they pride themselves on time-tested durability and quality, and are happy to prove it. We’re also impressed with how helpfully they respond to customer concerns online.
Those buyers looking for a softer sleep experience are likely to find this mattress ideal for their needs. The multi-layering of foam means that you’ll be able to sink right into the bed, without worrying about hitting the bottom. But, if it’s firmness you’re after, this isn’t a suitable model. Buyers have reported it does feel a fair amount softer than other similar models available.
Another consideration with a softer mattress like this is that it can be harder to change positions in the middle of the night, since the foam cocoons your body. If you’ve owned a memory foam mattress before you’re unlikely to even notice this, and those new to memory foam will quickly adjust. Most sleepers find that tossing and turning is a result of a bad mattress in the first place. This one will help you stay comfortable in one position, which ensures deeper, more therapeutic sleep.
Sleep Master 10-Inch Pressure Relief Memory Foam Mattress
The Sleep Master is our most budget-friendly recommendation for heavy people. It’s a bit thinner, at a depth of 10″ but provides smart 3-layer construction, solid construction, and the support base you need as a heavier sleeper.
If you’re looking for a budget mattress that still allows you to experience the comforts of memory foam, the Sleep Master is perfect for you. Although only 10-inches thick, the Sleep Master is a competitive priced mattress. It is great value if you want the benefits of a memory foam mattress without the exorbitant price tag.
It’s very comfortable. While this mattress is a bit thinner than our other recommendations, it’s loaded with plenty of cushioning. This one has a 3″ top layer of memory foam cushion, and a further 2″ comfort layer for relieving pressure points as you sleep. Underneath, there’s a solid 5 inches of base support foam which prevents you from sinking too far down. It also keeps the mattress durable over the years.
It’s incredibly affordable. This model is available for half the price of the Lucid option, and it’s got many of the same features.
Even though it’s a budget-priced mattress, it’s built like a midrange model. All of the foam used is Certi-Pur tested to be low-emissions. It’s also a bit greener, since Sleep Master have replaced some of the petroleum with natural plant-based oils.
It’s very low-odor. One of the biggest complaints that buyers new to memory foam have to their mattresses is that the foam has an unusual smell. Sleep Master have combatted this on their 10-Inch model by infusing the mattress with Evergreen and ActivCharcol. Evergreen extract, from green tea, neutralises odours from the mattress and from usage. ActivCharcol in the top layer absorbs moisture and also minimizes the sources of odors both out of the box and over years of use.
It’s covered by a very reasonable 10-year warranty.
Like the Lucid, buyers of the Sleep Master noted that this model is more of a softer feel than other mattresses. After all, it has a full 5″ of memory foam before you get to the support layer. That’s generally good news for heavier people, but it also means it may not be suitable for those wanting a firm surface in their beds.
The Sleep Master 10-Inch Mattress is a cheaper model, so you cannot expect to get the same premium quality and features that may be present in another model. It also has a shorter warranty (10 years vs. 20+). However, for the price the Sleep Master provides very good value. We think the pricepoint and quaity are ideal for people who want to support a heavier body comfortably, without overspending.
Which one should you buy?
Now that we’ve looked at our three favorite mattresses for heavy people in detail, which one is right for you? Let’s recap:
Those looking for the most popular mattress for heavy folks would be happiest with the Sleep Innovations 12-inch SureTemp model. Thousands of buyers have purchased this model, and the 20-year warranty gives ultimate peace of mind. Sheer numbers show that this mattress is a smart choice, and a popular one with mattress buyers. We really like the cooler foam top, as well as the bargain price for 12 inches of foam. It’s the best option for people who like a firmer mattress overall.
Buyers who want the most deluxe model should go with the LUCID 14-Inch Plush Memory Foam mattress. This luxury model is ideal for those with allergies and sensitive skin, with a bamboo charcoal top, and four layers for sleeping comfort. This mattress has been consistently highly rated by buyers, and is a smart choice for those wanting the best overall bed. We particularly love the 14″ depth, which provides plenty of room for deep cushioning and solid support in one piece.
People looking for the most budget-friendly option for larger sleepers should buy the Sleep Master 10-Inch Pressure Relief Memory Foam mattress. This is by far one of the cheapest models on the market that still offers a high quality, durable foam suitable for heavier people. We like the high-density support base, which is a major upgrade over cheaper mattresses (especially in terms of durability). This mattress is also an ideal way to test out memory foam mattresses and make sure they’re right for you, without breaking the bank.
If you still aren’t sure exactly what kind of mattress you’re looking for, why not look at some of our other products here? We’ve provided a wealth of information on choosing the perfect mattress, and plenty of tips and advice to help you make this important decision!